Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Sad Story of Steam a Seam II

I don't use fusing on my quilts a lot, but I do fuse small details onto appliquéd portions, such as the little figure and red umbrella on this quilt.  So when Steam a Seam II became hard to get, first I wondered why, and then I was pretty bummed to learn that the company was having trouble finding the crinkley white paper that encases the plastic-y fusible sheet.  The company finally ceased production of Steam a Seam until they can find a suitable replacement for the paper.  I admire their integrity to stop production rather than turn out an inferior product, but YIKES!

This led to many hours spent searching the internet for a suitable replacement.  I'm now using Misty Fuse, and I have to say, after the first date awkwardness, I've grown to like it.  It is light weight, doesn't change the feel of the fabric, and it takes less heat to bond, so I can use it to fuse nylon tulle, and other delicate, semi-transparent fabrics as I did on this little quilt.

Want to know how to use Misty Fuse?  This video on   YouTube.  by the Misty Fuse Company gives you the skinny in the first 5 minutes.  The last minute or two is just a promo for their teflon coated fiberglass ironing sheets with the odd name of Goddess Sheets.  If I ever become a goddess, believe me, my sheets will be nothing like that.

In the video the woman shows how to transfer your design from your pattern to the fabric using  parchment paper.  I've been using Kirkland parchment paper from Costco with great results (and a great price tag.)  All in all, I'm really happy with Misty Fuse, but I wish Steam a Seam well in their search for a replacement paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment