Saturday, October 7, 2017

The Post Office Quilt Part 2

About 4 weeks into this project and here I am.  I took the photo I'm working from in the winter, but I decided to change the season to early fall...mostly because I wanted some foliage to fill in above the roof line and break up some of that vacant sky.  Also, last year I noticed how the afternoon sun filtered through the trees and made a really beautiful variation of light and dark on the side of the building.  

Except for some foliage along the base of the building and tree, the west side of the building is done.  

Now I can turn my attention to the north-facing side and that cool dentalia trip over the porch.  Once again, I'm eliminating things from the image--the christmas tree by the door, the barren lilac bush that's obscuring most of the north-facing window, and the parking sign.  I've shifted the eye-level line up a bit, and hope I can carry that through on the north side.  I'm going to put the north side in a deeper shadow than shown in the photo so that the sunny side stands out as the focal point.  At least that's the plan right now.

I don't want to make the entire north-side of the building because I want the sunny west-side to be the focal point.  I get nervous at this point, because I've got a month or so invested in this piece, and I don't want to screw it up.  (However, I'm already thinking of plan B in case I do, such as putting a madrone tree where that barren lilac bush is and obscuring most of the north-side.  

Well, there's nothing left to do but dive in and see where I end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment