Saturday, September 15, 2018

Making a Pattern for Landscape Quilts, or Not

I used to feel it was pure sloth to start a piece without a pattern.  I'd seen books on making landscape quilts, and those artist made fairly elaborate patterns, so I felt I should too.  My problem is, after investing lots of time in making the patterns, like this one for my sea gulls,
I get sort of lost in the lines, and wonder, what the hell was I thinking?  Also, LINES are not SHAPES, which caused more head scratching.  So even though I had this giant drawing on taped-together-pieces of butcher paper, it proved pretty useless. What's light?  What's dark?  Arg.


Sketches like the one below, while not a pattern, were more useful to me when I was making the little quilt on the left.  The sketches weren't life size, and they weren't even the final shape of the quilt, but they were a pretty good map for where I wanted things to go, and where my lights and darks would end up.  Ultimately, everybody has to find what works for them, and for me, that's an ever evolving process.




No comments:

Post a Comment