Saturday, September 1, 2018

November 2016, Before They Knew

The morning of the 2016 election my daughter took this selfie with her daughter to commemorate what they thought was going to be a historic day:  The election of the first woman president.

Unfortunately, that day ended with the election of a man that we felt would be harmful to every single thing we cared about--the environment, working people, women, immigrants, people of color, education, and basic human decency.

My daughter is wearing a brooch she inherited from my mother, Ella Gaquin--a woman born before women could vote.  My mother's mother, Thelma Watt, and my mother's grandmother, Minnie Hall, were both suffragettes in upstate New York.  Our family has a long history of feminine  activist.

This quilt has been a long time in the making, and I'm still not 100% happy with it--but it's done...at least for now. I plan to hang it in my show at the Orcas Center next week, along with 19 other pieces, so like it or not, I needed to complete it.


No comments:

Post a Comment