Thursday, August 29, 2013

Headed to LaConner Quilt Fest

This quilt, a tribute to the removal of dams on the Elwha River, has been juried into the 2013 LaConner Quilt Fest. I am pleased about that, though I am not satisfied with this quilt itself.  It doesn't have enough contrast for my tastes, and though I wanted it to be clear that I was representing the Elwha River, I don't like the dark strip across the bottom with the micro stippled writing.  I wish I had carried some of the strands of water into the lettered strip.  Oh well, too late now.

What doesn't show in this photo are the clear, white, and pearl beads scattered across the watery splashes.  The beads are subtle, but does give the quilt surface a bit of watery sparkle.

2 comments:

  1. I am very impressed with this quilt. As a lover of nature, I aspire to do many quilts such as this. Would you consider posting a blog on the process you used for this? It appears to be fusion-based, but I can't tell from the photo.

    Also, I found a few of your older posts on creating a landscape quilt from a photograph...but got only as far as the materials, subject and making the pattern, when the string seemed to dry up. Can you please provide me with links to the remainder of the blog? I'd really like to do one as a Christmas gift for a dear friend.

    Respectufully, and with admiration,
    Karen F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I would like to explain how I did this quilt, and will. After Mac/Apple quit hosting websites, I moved to GoDaddy, which for some reason didn't work for me. I then decided to move to Blogspot, but I've been trying to blog from and iPad, which has a lot problems. In spite of the tech issues, I'd like to blog more about my work, if for no other reason than it documents my processes for myself. I'll see about finishing the series on landscape quilting too.

    ReplyDelete